During your visit with your Ophthalmologist, the eye specialist, you may have been told that you qualify for a Certificate of Vision Impairment (this is a document that states if you are sight impaired or severely sight impaired.)

The hospital will send us a copy of your Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI), we will then contact you and invite you to register as sight impaired or severely sight impaired. Registration is free and entirely voluntary.

You do not have to register immediately. We can talk this through with you and explain the benefits of being registered.


Benefits you may be entitled to

There is a range of benefits that could be available to you if you are visually impaired. Phone one of our advisors on 01904 202292 who will be able to help guide you through this process for more details.  Different benefits will be available depending on if you are:

  • registered as sight impaired or severely sight impaired
  • registered as severely sight impaired
  • not registered but have sight loss

Some of the benefits that may be available include:

  • Financial and welfare benefits
  • Travel Help
  • Blue Badges
  • Disabled Person’s Railcard (information from National Rail)
  • Travel Assistance
  • Television Licence
  • Assistance with Directory Enquiries
  • Assistance from Utility Companies
  • Leisure concessions
  • Audio description
  • Reading and accessing information
  • Sight tests
  • Sight tests at home

Blind persons tax allowance

To find out about blind persons tax allowance you can call your Tax Office directly. Send them a copy of your registration document and they will alter your Tax Code accordingly.

TV license

You can arrange for a reduction in your TV licence at your local Post Office Counter.

A blue badge for parking

Ask your local council offices for the form to receive a blue badge for parking. You will need to submit it with a copy of your Registration Document and probably a recent photo. There may also be a charge for this.

Free bus travel

Free bus travel is already available to people of retirement age. If you are of working age, you can ask for a form from your local council offices.

Free postage (as articles for the blind)

You can get labels for free postage from your local Post Office.


Ask at a mainline station information desk or go online to find out about the railcard offering discount travel for you and a friend/companion.

Free directory enquiries

For free directory enquiries from BT look on their website or complete the form from your Registration Officer.


None of these benefits/allowances come automatically. All of them have to be applied for.
If you would like assistance with any of these or would like to know more, please contact our Yorsensory team on 01904 202292.